Monday, July 12, 2010

A piece of me

I heard a song today that I hadn’t heard in a long time. Maybe you know it. It is called “Father and Son” by Cat Stevens. And, like many songs that form the soundtrack of my life, it got me to thinking mostly about my newly discovered old friends from the Facebook world of social networking.

It is so interesting to me how many of my friends update constantly about their children. I am no exception. I love to read the updates. I know when they win or lose a sporting event, when they are ill, when they achieve educational greatness and when they are just smiling for the camera in one of the many posted pictures.
We flash their victories on the pages of statuses as if to validate ourselves. That is not a bad thing, as it is a validation in its purest form. After all, who would have known what a night of passion years prior would produce. The results, all too often, are breath taking.

We can now so easily create a virtual scrapbook in a way like we never have been able before, and it is wonderful. The doting and fawning is so politely tolerated by the throngs of friends we choose to involve in our daily updates. As mundane as these moments are, they are received and then responded with clicks of the “like” voting button at rates that would impress even the most seasoned politicians.

Now we have created a world where we celebrate even the smallest victories by our smallest citizens. I like it. I know when there is a baseball game, first tooth, hospital visit, good report card, school performance, accident, and the many other reasons to inform. The awesome force of social networking replaces the Hallmark card with a real time account of daily happenings.

The pictures are also great. I find myself too often staring at a child’s photo and wonder how such a beautiful child could come from the amazingly plain individuals I have known all of these years. I also admit I have fallen victim to the conspiracy theory that it is not possible for such a beautiful child to be the genetic makeup of his alleged parents and look for clues as to whom the father actually must be.
What is ominously absent from these pages is the spouses. Sure, they get the obligatory picture from the last family vacation, but they do not make the editors cut of daily inclusion. It is all about the kids.

So, I am listening to the “Father and Son” song and I get it. Stevens wrote,

“It's not time to make a change,
Just relax, take it easy.
You're still young, that's your fault,
There's so much you have to know.
Find a girl, settle down,
If you want you can marry.
Look at me, I am old, but I'm happy.”

And it is all about the children. Those who chose the path of no kids, update me on your pet, plants, house, whatever. “Look at me, I am old, but I’m happy”.

6 comments:

  1. Beautifully written - kudos on your finest one yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok lovely blog entry, but since you posted the song lyrics to father and son, help me with something>

    this line -- "you're still young, that's your fault"

    how is AGE anyone's fault? i would call it the perfect song if it said that's NOT your fault. help. anyone. please help me resolve this lyric limbo.

    signed

    desperate in DC

    ReplyDelete
  3. you raise a fair point....at first my expectation is he was seeking a word that rhymed with Malt...but it turned out that malt is not in the song..sooo, if age has fault, in most cases it can be traced back to vodka...becasue of the algabraic equation....Vodka+Pillow=Baby...or V+P=B

    ReplyDelete
  4. ok i see your logic on age, but FAULT. how is age your FAULT. in your explanation, your age is Vodka's fault. still dismayed in DC.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ColorBar..i am reacing out to Cat Stevens and proposing the following changes all becasue of you. I will see if he will alter this classic to please your inflated ego....see new lyric proposal below.



    It's not time to eat a steak,
    Just relax, chew the pieces.
    if you use salt, that's your fault,
    There's so much you have to know.
    Find a girl, settle down,
    If you want you can marry.
    Look at me, I am old, but I'm happy.”

    ReplyDelete
  6. it could be just this simple:

    "you're still young, it's not your fault"

    ReplyDelete